Sunday, February 7, 2010

I love Pressed Flowers and Thrift Stores

I am so excited ! I love Pressed Flowers as You all know. I also love going to yard sales and thrift stores! I love to go find things to Up-cycle . I am a thrifty person by nature . anyway on with my all time Cool find.
I went to my favorite thrift store less than 2miles from me!!
I love going in there and look at their boxes of  frames  to see if I can find anything for my pressed flowers or find Pressed Flower Pictures !? 
Well this time I found this homemade antique looking  frame with kinda over sized wooden leaves at 3 out of 4 corners.  With a faded laminated pressed flower arrangement  that I almost passed up . I have been trying not to get things I have to fix before using because I don't get to it??
So I sat it down , looked at another box of frames saw someone pick up my old one and put it down . Well I went to pick it up (thinking I'll buy it to see if I can find out Who did the picture ?I pick it up and the back came half off . There I find a Surprise. A note and a tin picture !! I am flipping out digging for the missing piece of leaf for the frame then .there is  1 more box I haven't looked through yet! I was so shocked when there is another frame and picture as the other in the box ! When I picked it up I found another tin picture on the backside of the picture but no back to the frame ? i dug back through the other 2 boxes very carefully and found the back in 1  and a note in the last of the second picture! 
Is that not just wild ! I bought them ,brought them home and started tearing them down and doing some home-work !?!
I found out these folks are in the history of donated land to UNC .
Here's the Pictures and then I will give you some links on info about them.You can click them to see them bigger!
 
  

 
 

Side by side again at least on my site .
Rev. Wilson Atwater , married Eleanor McCauley, on 12/23/1819. 

He was minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church South; died 7/31/1885.
Eleanor's Father and uncle donated 250 acres of land to founding  UNC . more details below. 
There was lots of little things i found digging around!   
I guess I should also say I am a Research nut , I LOVE finding things like these pictures and putting a Real story with it. It took hours of searching but here is what I found.
 The site I found does not have her picture yet! Hopefully I will learn more and I will update then! Enjoy .

 Reverend Wilson Atwater
Birth: Dec. 3, 1797
Death: Jul. 31, 1885
 Spouse:
Burial:
Carrboro
Orange County
North Carolina, USA
Plot: Grave 2
Created by: Lost History
Record added: Jul 12, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 3935101

Eleanor McCauley Atwater
Birth:     Dec. 9, 1801
Death:     Mar. 2, 1872
Daughter of Matthew and Martha Johnston McCauley, who are buried in the McCauley Family Cemetery.
Wife of the Reverend Wilson Atwater.
 Family links:
 Parents:
  Matthew McCauley (1750 - 1832) Martha Ann Johnston McCauley (1760 - 1848)
 Spouse:  Wilson Atwater (1797 - 1885)
Inscription:
"Dead, yet liveth"
 
Burial: pics of site
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GRid=39351015&CRid=2313771&
Atwater Family Cemetery
Carrboro
Orange County
North Carolina, USA
 
Created by: Lost History
Record added: Jul 12, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 39350980
________________________-
 Elainor's Father , Capt. Matthew McCauley. born in Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Ireland (source :McCauley Family Papers, 1788-1872, University of North Carolina). Their family were supposedly shipbuilders. They migrated to Orange County, North Carolina before the American Revolution.
During the Revolutionary War McCauley survived the harsh Pennsylvania weather at Valley Forge to return to Orange County where he donated 150 acres of land to assist in the founding of the University of North Carolina.
The McCauley family included Matthew McCauley, Sr. (1750-1832), who moved from Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Ireland, to Orange County, N.C., prior to the American Revolution, served in the 10th North Carolina Regiment of the Continental Army, and, with his brother William, donated 250 acres for the University of North Carolina; and Matthew McCauley, Jr. (born 1803), was the youngest child of 10 of  Matthew McCauley, Sr., and his wife, Martha Johnston McCauley. 
 
Matthew McCauley father of Elainor Atwater , helped start a
Congregational Christian church .

Congregational Christian
The Christian Church was born in protest against ecclesiasticism and the denial of individual freedom in the Methodist Episcopal Church, especially where it concerned appointing ministers.  The movement organized under the name of Republican Methodists, which name was later changed to Christian.  The founder, James O'Kelly, migrated to North Carolina, organized and was the first pastor of the Damascus Christian Church in the year 1797.  A Christian Church was organized in the 19th century in the town of Hillsborough, but did not flourish and was later absorbed by the Methodist Episcopal Church of Hillsborough.  Later, the Christian Church and the Congregational Church merged.

Churches:
Damascus Congregational Christian Church was organized in 1797; leaders were Col. Matthew McCauley, John Wilson and Jesse Neville; first pastor was James O'Kelley; present building erected in 1892.

more info here http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=34591143 
___________________________________________
Father of Rev. Wilson Atwater
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/atwater%20info/cem048.htm
 
 MOSES  ATWATER , grave site location
Location: Baldwin Township. 1100 feet south of SR 1540, Jones Ferry Road, 200 feet east of masonry dwelling on parcel 72126, Carolyn H. Barrett property, called Storybook Farm.

On 3 February 2001, this site was inspected by Will Heiser and Lamont Norwood. In the Cedar Grove United Methodist Church Cemetery (D15.1), there is a bronze plaque for Moses Atwater which says he was buried 1¬ miles east. At this location there is a monument with the notation: "80 feet west are graves of Moses Atwater and wife Amy Wilson [with their years]. Original Monument being destroyed [this monument] erected by descendants, 1975." Lamont Norwood remembers the story that the original markers were bulldozed and the area plowed over
 Owner: Carolyn H. Barrett.
    Legal Description: Parcel 72126, Deed 1327/408 Plat 96/122. Deed 632-503, 28 Dec 1993, George Warren Barrett, Sr., and wife Mary M. to George Warren Barrett, Jr. and wife Carolyn H. Barrett.
            Topo Quadrant: Bynum.
            Family owned: Yes.
            Maintained but not used: Yes.
            Number of graves: 2.
            Cemetery size: 10' x 10'.
            White: Yes.
            Restricted access: Yes. On private property
            Well maintained: Yes.
            Enclosed: No.
            Markers: Yes.
            Markers with inscriptions: Yes.
            Number of readable markers: 2.
            Last burial: 1852.
            First burial: 1836.
   1.  Amy Wilson
Atwater,   (b. 1775 - d. 1852) Wife of Moses Atwater
   
2.    Moses Atwater  (b. 1780 - d. 1836) 
 "Orig. monument being destroyed, Erected by Descendants, 1975" "80 feet west are graves of:". Monument also in Cedar Grove United Methodist Church Cem. (D15.1). 

    Miscellaneous information: Single monument with inscription "80 feet west of here are graves of Moses Atwater and wife Amy Wilson [with their years]. Original monument being destroyed, and [this monument] erected by descendants 1975.".
            Last canvassed by: Will M. Heiser/ Lamont Norwood. Date: 3 Feb 2001. Coordinate corrections made per Heiser's location on map and ownership info updated on 12 Jul 2008

3 comments:

  1. i have tears!...happy tears!:-)

    somebody bigger than us made sure you found what was in that box!:-)

    this would make a great story for the guild newsletter!:-)

    rebekah:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Terica! What a wonderful job of digging you did...I am imPRESSED!
    Hugs,
    Marie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terica, this is fascinating! Chris

    ReplyDelete

I wish I knew an easier way for folks to comment ?
Thanks for leaving a message . I will try to always answer any questions ASAP.
PEACE