Thursday, March 10, 2011

I made the International Philadelphia Flower Show Competition !

Well I did not make it to the flower show in Philadelphia but my work did! 
The Wall of  International Philadelphia Flower Show Competition
 I found this picture on http://mickiart.blogspot.com/
It has been a while since I have had any real creative mojo going on other than little projects for almost a year. 
I have pressed enough for me and many more yet created very little?
I have had some luck starting a blog honoring  
World Wide Pressers and Artist.
I am very proud of how well it it going , a new interview every week with a variety of artist.
As a lot of You know I belong to the wonderful Guild at
 World Wide Pressed Flower Guild .org 
Well some of us there started talking about the Philly Flower Show back in Oct or Nov . Who was going , who was entering etc.
Well one thing lead to another and I thought what better way to make myself get serious again about this art than to actually sign up for competition . I knew the spaces where limited so I decided to sign up for 2 hoping I may get 1 open spot since I signed up just days before deadline. 
Well I got both spots so I went for it ! Due in 2 months !!
The theme was "Spring in Paris " , and each class of pictures had a theme to go with it . 
The first one I did was called "LES FLEURS
 Create a scene containing a vase filled with flowers. A minimum of five different types of flowers must be incorporated into the art. Open only to exhibitors who have not won a blue ribbon in the Pressed Plant Classes of the Philadelphia International Flower Show prior to 2011.   
   Sounded easy enough till I got reading all the rules and realized I had a lot of flowers that may not pass ? 


I decided my goal this time was not to stress on competing with the others but to focus on making a piece worthy of competition !  I knew I could finally say I had entered and made it to the wall of the  International Philadelphia Flower Show !  
Well here is what I came up with ! You can click any of these pictures to make them bigger.
I can honestly say this is prettier in person 
The white dusty miller came from a Presser in Canada named Dee.  The table cloth was made from purple basil .
Everything else was pressed by me from our yard. 

Then for the second picture class was " Vin" 
Create a scene of with Wine as the main subject , vineyards or anything to do with wine! 
 This was fun and hard too. 


This is a close up so you can see the corkscrew and cork I made to fill space on the table, instead of a glass. I knew I should have taken that class at WWPFG 
Rose in a Glass
Creating a realistic transparent glass, a rose using birch bark, and lacy elements.
Instructor: Irina Orlova , I will order it soon at http://wwpfg.org/store/workshop

To see some the rules and a lot of the pics from the Philly Show,
You can visit Kate's blog ,she posted 4 blogs on this !!
at Kate's Pressed Flower Art 
also go by Micki's blog at http://mickiart.blogspot.com/ to see more too. 
Thanks for stopping by and please let me know what You think?
Peace and Happy pressing! 

here is the link to PFS rules too , tough job for the judges
http://www.theflowershow.com/Exhibits/Images/2011/2011_artistic_handbookfinal.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Hello Terica,

    I love your work, it's so unique!


    ~ Gabriela ~

    ReplyDelete

I wish I knew an easier way for folks to comment ?
Thanks for leaving a message . I will try to always answer any questions ASAP.
PEACE